Tuesday, July 28, 2009

all we need now is the campfire

Tonight I made BBQ White Beans with "Sausage" & Spinach. First of all, it was marvelously fast to put together. Unless you roast potatoes for a side (like I did), you can make this dinner, start to finish in no more that 20 minutes. This is absolutely the fastest dinner in my repertoire short of grilled cheese sandwiches or veggie burgers. Secondly, I realized about halfway through cooking (aka, about ten minutes in) that this spiffy sounding recipe is a glorified "franks and beans."

Besides how incredibly quickly it was ready to be eaten, one of the best things about this recipe was that it wanted me to use 1 cup of BBQ sauce. Why is that so exciting, you may wonder? Because I have had approximately 1 cup of Pomegranate BBQ sauce that I made for one of my favorite recipes in Vegan With A Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz languishing in my freezer for longer than I'd like and this recipe gave me the opportunity to use it. Truth be told, I actually chose this recipe because it would let me use that up. I'm not a huge fan of BBQ or the accompanying sauce, but I have to say this is the best BBQ sauce ever - how can you lose when two ingredients are liquid smoke and pomegranate molasses?

Anyway, we'll consider tonight's dinner another great success, despite the heat keeping the cat out of the kitchen. He's obviously not going to oblige my wish for a funny anecdote, so I'll just explain his odd behavior (which inspired the blog title) now.

Angst is my cat. He's a huge grey-and-darker-grey tabby who loves spinach and hates summer (and therefore will not cooperate with my cooking schedule). Angst LOVES spinach - I think it's the weirdest thing, but he gets crazy impatient if I don't share with him before I break the spinach (in other words, before I cook it). He sits at my feet and gives me "the eyes" and if I don't pay attention, he will stand up on his hind legs and wrap his "arms" around my waist (he's very tall), squeaking for spinaches. When I give him his piece(s), he gets on his hind feet again so he can grab my wrist with his paws and hold onto it while he eats the spinach right out of my fingers. Every once in a while, I fool him - I don't mean to - he's just kinda stupid sometimes. He sees green leafy things and thinks spinach...but there's arugula (which I discovered he also likes), mint and basil (doesn't like them at all), and bok choy, to name a few.

Enough tangents - here is what our tasty dinner looked like tonight:

No comments:

Post a Comment