Sunday, May 2, 2010

some like it hot

Not my husband, though, unless we're talking about curry or szechuan food.  It was really hot in Philadelphia today - it still is when you live on the second floor of any building.  Thank heavens the restaurant downstairs is not presently occupied and doing business!  I don't care much for excessive heat, but I'm not going to lie around and cry about it like Mister and Angst (who is utterly miserable and would gladly donate his fur coat to PETA).

I do what any logical woman would do when the temperature is pushing 90 and she's flanked on either side by whining men.

I fired up the oven.

Yes, I did.  I don't know what possesses me to do things like that, but when I gave Mister his dinner cuisine choice of Greek, Mexican, or Japanese food, he chose Greek (surprise, surprise), so I slaved in a hot kitchen with a hot oven to make Greek Quesadillas!

I didn't take any pictures because they don't look too different from the other vegan "quesadillas" I made recently, but I will share the recipe, though I might tweak it for my future theoretical cookbook.

4 large whole wheat pitas, split in half
4 oz hummus (I used roughly half of an 8 oz container)
1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives (I cut them into sixths lengthwise)
1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
1/2 of a 5 oz bag of baby spinach

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.  Spread hummus on the inside of all 8 pita halves.  Evenly distribute the baby spinach leaves among 4 pita halves, then sprinkle with kalamata slices and roasted peppers.  Top with remaining 4 pita halves and press down lightly.  If any filling pops out the sides of the 'dillas, just push it back in.  Put on a baking sheet (or save yourself the trouble and just assemble them on the sheet) and then bake for 10-12 minutes.  Allow to cool slightly (primarily to avoid burning your precious little fingertips) and then cut into quarters with a pizza roller.

No comments:

Post a Comment