Thursday, October 8, 2009

mango belongs in soup

I would like to start by thanking the two ladies who left me feedback on my honey post. I will revisit that subject, as well as some other related topics, over the weekend when I have more time to put forth the thought and effort it deserves.

I don't have a whole lot to say (I'm saving it up, maybe), except that we had the Brazilian Black Bean Stew for dinner tonight and it was a lot better than my last Brazilian meal...
Yes, those are chunks of perfectly ripe mango you see atop that bed of black beans and veggies. What a genius idea! Another favorite soup recipe involving fruit comes from How it All Vegan - Curried Apple Soup. Oh, and dear Martha has a brilliant Chickpea-Apple Curry and I always forget how easily apples absorb cayenne until I've added too much and have to sweat through dinner. But then she makes up for it with the Strawberry Gazpacho (which I suddenly feel compelled to make again before all the tomatoes and strawberries are gone or twice as expensive for half the quality).

What I'm trying to say is: I think putting fruit in soup is awesome.

Anyway, this delightful melange of flavors was inspired by feijoada, the Brazilian national dish. After doing a little digging, it appears that the mango and veggies are replacing a huge quantity of pork and sausage. I'm not sure how they figured that exchange, but I think mangos, carrots, bell peppers, and tomatoes taste better than all manner of dead pig. A recipe I found lists pork sausage, bacon, and pork tenderloin as the main ingredients besides black beans. Pounds of these things. It also mentions that those pig bits are for cheaters who don't have time to cook it properly, by stewing ears, tails, and feet. Sounds great. I'll take mangos and peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment