Wednesday, April 7, 2010

don't forget to spit out the chicken seeds

Every once in a while, I am completely impressed by a question or statement made in my presence.  Today, I had that privilege.  I was training a new group of sales reps and explaining the difference in the Vegetarian menu we offer.  One of the trainees raised his hand and this is what came out of his mouth:

"I am getting the impression that poultry is considered meat on this program.  Is that correct?"

I have to be honest - it takes a lot to stun me.  That more or less did it.  I think my initial silence was my attempt to prevent myself from gawking at him and saying, "wow - really?" but after I caught my breath and recovered, I smiled and explained that "anything which used to move of its own volition would be considered meat."  Fortunately, the class found this very amusing and moved to the [apparently] obvious conclusion that I was, in fact, a vegetarian.

But really?  I shouldn't make fun of my new hires, and I'm really not, but it amazes me that in this age of hyper-awareness of every alternative lifestyle out there, something as relatively normal as vegetarianism would be such a mystery.  Is chicken considered meat?  No, only dead cows.  Really?  Is chicken a vegetable, then?  Perhaps a legume?  No, I think it's just a really loud fruit.


So, for dinner tonight, I covered The Urban Vegan with plastic wrap so I wouldn't get any asparagus blood on it when I plucked out the feathers and removed the innards.  I actually made the Cauliflower-Chickpea Tagine tonight, but since it was simmering for about 45 minutes, I decided to roast my asparagus, too, in place of a salad tonight.  Ironic, perhaps, since Philadelphia broke a heat record today - 87 degrees!  If that's not salad weather...no, it's crank-the-oven-to-450 weather.  Anyway, after I finished chasing the cauliflower around the kitchen, I severed its extremities from the thick core and added it to the sliced carrots I had already de-veined.


Our lovely and cruelty-free dinner - the table just looked so pretty (and symmetrical).  Then, as a reward for not dying in this early-April heat, I pulled out a special dessert:


I happened into Essene on a day they were giving out samples of this stuff, as well as coupons, so I figured, why not give it a try.  I've heard some good things about it and it was on sale!  I was pretty sure I would like it, but I knew the real test would be Mister.

We both agreed that Tempt's "ice cream" is much creamier than any soy cream we've tried.  Also, the slight aftertaste (which only Mister minds) that accompanies soy is conspicuously absent.  The flavor is subtle - it's not overly sweet.  I wouldn't mind if the mint chips were a little bigger, but the overall texture was delightful.  Living Harvest has 5 flavors of Tempt: Vanilla, Mint Chip, Coffee Biscotti, Chocolate Fudge, and Coconut Lime.  I'm not a huge fan of Vanilla, but I am absolutely intrigued by the others.  I wonder how likely it is that I can score some more coupons...

No comments:

Post a Comment