Tuesday, April 27, 2010

why is the rum gone?


It is rare that I find dinner and dessert in the same cookbook, for some reason, but Dynise came through for me tonight.  Despite my temper tantrum polite request, Angst would not trot down to the Spirits store and get me a bottle of Malbec.  For Christmas, my father had given me a slightly unusual stocking stuffer - a airline-sized bottle of Sailor Jerry spiced rum.  This is a bit bizarre because I don't actually drink rum, so it's just been hanging out.  Tonight, I tried to make a deal with Angst but he can't really be reasoned with.  I told him he could have the little Angst-sized bottle of rum if he went out and got me a Natalie-sized bottle of Malbec.  I then threatened him, explaining that I would drink his rum if he didn't get me wine.  Stay tuned for the end of the story, kids.

For dinner tonight, I made Modular Pakistani Kima from The Urban Vegan.  I knew it would be spicy, since it called for 3-5 tablespoons of my Muchi Curry of Doom.  Instead, I did one tablespoon of the MCoD, 1 tbsp of Garam Masala, and a generous sprinkling of cumin and coriander.  It was still almost unbearable - I think I just can't stand tomato-based curries.  Maybe the acid in the tomatoes somehow enhances the Power of the Peppers, but it just doesn't work well for me.


It's very pretty and Mister enjoyed it greatly.  It caught my mouth on fire. 

Almost a decade ago, I spent a long weekend in Cancun with my best friend/sister-in-law:


We had a blast and were rarely without a banana daiquiri in hand.  If we were without daiquiri, it was only because a nice Mexican man had delivered a glass of outstanding red wine to us on his head.  Or, my favorite - our complimentary bottle of Moet Chandon Blue Star, from which our server carefully removed the silver foil and crafted a flower from it, which he then anchored in the cork.  I wonder if my SIL still has it.

Anyway, it occurred to me that a banana daiquiri would probably be the perfect way to calm the fire on my tongue...and I just happened to have this little bitty bottle of rum....


I roughly followed the recipe from the Happy Hour chapter at the end of The Urban Vegan for Spiked Banana Smoothies.  It is delightful.  And almost gone.  To quote dear Captain Jack, "Why is the rum gone?"

No comments:

Post a Comment