Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Patty's Potato Puddin'

I decided to celebrate St Patrick's day today, since yesterday was too crowded :)

Last night, I celebrated by doing about 45 minutes' worth of fruitless shoe shopping, since Spring is upon us and it's time to let my toes out of their pointy prison. After I battled with unskilled drivers and drunk pedestrians, I did actually get parking pretty easily, so I celebrated by having myself a proper Irish dinner: leftover Seitan Curry Bowl. I did let Smirnoff and Martini & Rossi keep me company, though, as I plotted out the new menu:

1. Sweet & Sour Tofu accompanied by Dark Leafy Greens with Sesame Miso Dressing from The Vegan Table. It's actually supposed to be tempeh, but we've had such a good run of Mister not having to use our health insurance, I figured I'd see how long we could ride that wave and I thought the tempeh might interfere with my plans.

2. Roasted Asparagus Soup with Thyme accompanied by Fruited Spinach Salad also from The Vegan Table. I'm really pushing it with soup on a menu for the most temperate and beautiful week yet in 2010, but it's supposed to get rainy and dismal in a few days, so I'm kind of counting on that. I had some reservations, because the soup is primarily a puree, dotted with roasted asparagus tips, but I think I can work something out. Perhaps Mister will be more forgiving since I'm using his favorite vegetable.

3. Crowd-Pleasing Pasta with Tomatoes and Artichokes also from The Vegan Table. I felt like I was neglecting this book, can you tell?

4. Pasta Jambalaya from Vegan Express, because we can't let that book collect dust!

5. Seitan & Polenta Skillet with Fresh Greens accompanied by these mashed potatoes.

I actually ended up making that tonight, because I thought it followed with the whole steak (seitan) and potatoes theme of Everyone-is-Irish-week. I've made the Seitan & Polenta Skillet before, though I am convinced it gets tastier every time. While I was simmering dinner, I was also following Mama Pea's recipe for strange mashed potatoes she ate on her recent Hawaiian vacation. I had only one variation - I used Yukon Gold potatoes, not sweet potatoes, because I would like to see my next wedding anniversary. I'm not sure if that's the difference, or if I'm just not adept at making mashed potatoes in a food processor, but I ended up making potato pudding. It was interesting...I think the subtle flavors of the nutritional yeast and magical secret ingredient hummus will intensify as it sits in the fridge a day or two, but the texture was bizarre. I will attempt this again because it sounds like it should work, but I will mash the potatoes by hand with my nifty masher and I will use twice as much hummus and nooch. I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment