Friday, September 24, 2010

california dreaming (and kale soup)

As if Summer was not quite prepared to leave just yet, on this second day of Autumn the high temperature today soared over 90 degrees.  I did what any rational person would do - I made soup for dinner.

Let me back up a little.  I had actually intended to save the soup recipe for Sunday when the weather forecast is cool and gloomy.  However, my poor Mister has been having stomach troubles the past couple of days and wanted something light for dinner.  I asked him if he wanted dinner and if so, which dinner, and he chose the soup.


Tonight, I made Black Bean Soup with Kale and Rice from Vegan on the Cheap.  As I suspected, I did not need a slow-cooker to make the soup.  I let it simmer on the stovetop for almost an hour and it was flavorful and hearty.  Mister enjoyed it and there are leftovers if he wants them tomorrow.  I did get to wondering what a vegetarian would use a slow-cooker for, since they gained popularity for tenderizing tough cuts of animal.  I realized, after a few bags of dried beans, the slow-cooker would pay for itself in terms of canned bean savings!


It's a pretty soup, yes?  I'm glad I didn't use three cans of black beans (I used two) because it was a much thicker soup than I anticipated and I think the third can would have been overkill.

So, what does all of this have to do with California?  Glad you asked!  Nothing at all.  However, amidst the many text messages I got today sending me cyber-hugs for Hug A Vegetarian Day, my beautiful and beloved sister-in-law sent me one asking Mister and I to come visit around the time of our anniversary.  She included a very valuable bribe - a free ticket for Mister to accompany her husband to BlizzCon.  He was pretty excited since most of the time that I'm sitting here at my computer typing up witty posts, he is battling all sorts of mythical monsters in World of Warcraft (another gift from my considerate brother-in-law).

I'm just looking forward to spending some time with this lovely lady:

No comments:

Post a Comment