Saturday, September 25, 2010

sometimes it's the simple things

You should see some of the things I see from my little window, overlooking a very popular street in Philadelphia.  The costumes some women wear, complete with these amazing shoes - I can't figure out how they remain upright, much less walk down the uneven, high-heel-unfriendly, chunks-missing-here-and-there sidewalks of center city.  The men aren't much better - gold-rimmed sunglasses (after sunset, because they're that cool), bright color-coordinated outfits, snakeskin print shoes...I see these people prancing around my neighborhood each weekend, sometimes arriving in outrageously pimped out limousines, jewelry (or shirts) sparkling even in the streetlights.  What are they looking for?

I think Lady Gaga put it best in her song, The Fame:
I can't help myself I'm addicted to a life of material.
It's some kind of joke, I'm obsessively opposed to the typical.
All we care about is, runway models, cadillacs and liquor bottles.
Give me something I wanna be, retro glamour, Hollywood.
Yes, we live for the Fame
Doin' it for the Fame
'Cause we wanna live the life of the rich and famous.
Fame, Doin' it for the Fame
'Cause we've got a taste for champagne and endless fortune.
People want to feel special; they want to indulge and partake in luxury.

I'm no different.

Fortunately, my indulgence takes far less time for make-up and outfit-selection.  I'm fine just the way I am - I just need a nice glass of red wine and a few squares of decadent, high-quality dark chocolate.


This little moment of opulence is brought to you courtesy of Yellow Tail Cabernet-Merlot (blue) and Vivani Chocolate.  (P.S. I dare you to go to Vivani's website and not drool while watching the homepage slideshow.)

Back to earth, back to the reality of a fun day of food shopping and laundry tomorrow, here is the new menu:

1. Indian-Spiced Lentil Ragu and

2. Mexican Rice and Bean Bake, both from Vegan on the Cheap and both left over from last week's menu, because Mister's belly troubles resulted in an extra night or two of not cooking.

3. Black-Bottom Pineapple Tofu with Cashew Coconut Rice from Vegetarian Times: Fast and Easy, because
  • I love this recipe
  • It's been a while since I've made it, and
  • I have some coconut burning a hole in my cupboard.
4. Pasta Jambalaya from Vegan Express

5. Braised Cauliflower with Three-Seed Sauce from Vegan With A Vengeance.  Can you see that I'm trying to make up for getting all of my meals from one cookbook for two weeks? 

Angst also has his little piece of heaven right now - a red wire he stole from Mister and is now gleefully batting around the living room floor.  Sometimes, it's the simple things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment