Tuesday, January 25, 2011

comforts of homes

I should probably be packing right now, but instead I'm posting while inhaling the heavenly scent of baking seitan.  What an action-packed day!

It started at about 5 minutes before work, when my cellphone rang with the call I've been waiting on for nearly 2 weeks: we got the apartment we visited at the beginning of the month!  After a little negotiating, we set a date for Moving Day, so all the chaos surrounding me needs to find its way into boxes or the garbage or the thrift store between now and Valentines Day.  That's right, folks, the most romantic way Mister and I could think of to spend Valentines Day is by moving into our new home.  We'll probably also have a dinner date, but if we go to Horizons again (which has been the plan), we'll have to wait until Tuesday night anyway.

Anyway, when I got home from work, I grabbed Mister, ID, and our checkbook and headed over to our future landlord's house to sign the lease and put a deposit down to hold the apartment.  Afterward, we went to Superfresh, where I picked up polenta and found that the Broth Drought has already ended!  As a result, the seitan I needed to make for two of our dinners is currently baking, and we finally had the Chickpea Stew with Fried Polenta from Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook.


I don't know why I keep taking pictures of it - it always looks the sameIt also always tastes the same which is one of the many comforting things about this dinner.  It is so easy and comes together really quickly.  At this point, I pretty much have the recipe memorized and I just put the book out because I'm in the habit.  There is also always one serving left for me to take to work for lunch...which is good, since I was trying to explain to a colleague what polenta is and could not muster an adequate explanation, so now we can just do Show n' Tell.

Well, I must be moving along...I have dishes to wash (now that we have water!), seitan to flip, and a home to purge and pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment