Tuesday, January 4, 2011

luck of the iri....southern?

So today was my first day back at work after 10 beautiful days off.  When I sat down at my computer, I found over 600 emails awaiting my attention, including one from my boss requesting my presence more or less immediately in the training room.  Welcome back, Natalie!

I felt pretty lucky by the end of the day.  Like last year, the company is providing food for the staff for the first two weeks of the year, in order to ensure we have adequate staffing at all times to handle the influx of busyness we're still waiting on.  We're in a new building with a new dining/catering staff, so this year the food is presented buffet style, rather than being hand-delivered by the CEO himself.  They sent a menu around and although I still think it's a kind gesture to feed us and whatnot, it appears tomorrow is the only day there will actually be food I can eat.  Last year, I had the great fortune of a contrite Vice President bringing me my special veggie lunches; today I made the most of some sad, white iceberg lettuce, wilting cucumber slices, and dried out shredded carrot... tomorrow there will be pasta.

Fortunately, I have a fridge full of vacation leftovers!  I finished off the tabbouleh today while listening to my boss tell me of the praise conveyed to him by the aforementioned VP and the Director of our department, regarding my recent [insane] efforts, in his absence.  The most skilled table-side violinist couldn't have played a sweeter song than the words my boss weaved: "Exceeded all their expectations" are probably my favorite words in this language.

Despite the many lucky turns today took (even though I really didn't want to go back to work, I'll be honest), I felt like I needed to share all that good fortune with my mister...



I feel like it's truly 2011, now that we've had the fortune-bringing Hottie Black-Eyed Peas and Greens from Appetite for Reduction.   It was good - in place of the 1 Tbsp of hot sauce, I used a generous, tablespoon-sized dollop of harissa.  All of our hot sauce terrifies me - if it's spicy enough that Mister uses it sparingly, a whole tablespoon of it has no business near my mouth.  It packed just the right amount of heat to keep Mister happy and prevent my mouth from flaming.


So, here's to a lucky, fortunate, and fruitful new year!

Mister said something else at the conclusion of dinner.
"Fergie is a hot Black-Eyed Pea."


I don't know what he's talking about...

No comments:

Post a Comment