Saturday, August 15, 2009

sweet (and savory) success

I am back and thrilled to report that tonight's dinner was such a success that someday I will be able to forgive myself for last night's dinner. After much deliberation, and eventually deciding based on an intense desire to stay away from rice tonight, I decided to cook the Pomegranate Saute on Cinnamon Bulghur.
It was extremely flavorful, which was a welcomed change from the profoundly bland meal we ate last night. It also came together in a little less than one hour - another substantial difference from yesterday's cooking time. I was very pleased with the combination of sweet and savory - one of my favorite combinations. I'm not terribly sodium-conscious, but I try to pay attention because I'm sure one day it will be an issue. Something I remembered from a magazine article about the Satisfaction diet (in which you seek to be satisfied with less food by incorporating more of the essential tastes) is that vinegar, in the right quantity, can have the same enhancing effect on food as salt. I stopped trying to decide between salt and soy sauce and picked up the red wine vinegar. It worked better than I could have imagined! Anyway....

Pomegranate Saute on Cinnamon Bulghur
serves 6-8
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups water
1 cup bulghur
1 scant tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 large cloves of garlic, pressed/minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup corn
15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
14 oz can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
12 oz soy sausage crumbles
6 oz apple juice
2 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, crushed (optional)


Bring water, salt, and cinnamon to a boil. Add bulghur; cover and simmer on low for 20-25 minutes, until all liquid has absorbed.
Meanwhile, saute peppers and garlic in oil over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally, until pepper is tender and garlic has browned slightly. Add soy crumbles and stir to break up. Increase heat to medium and brown soy crumbles slightly. Add corn, chickpeas, and undrained tomatoes. Stir to combine and bring to boiling. Add apple juice, pomegranate molasses, and red wine vinegar. Simmer on low, uncovered, for 15-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Put peanuts in a plastic bag and crush with the back of a spoon.
To serve, lay a bed of bulghur and spoon saute with juices over top. Garnish with peanuts, if using.

By the way, if anyone is interested in learning more about the Satisfaction diet, I find it fascinating and would be happy to expound. Just leave me a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment