Saturday, September 26, 2009

cupcakes for them, soup for me!

I've found my taste-testers for future cupcake/muffin recipes - I work with them on Saturdays. I finally made my "nostalgic" cupcakes today and to say they were a smashing success seems to be an understatement (to my great delight). One of the boys just stood over the box of cupcakes for about 2-3 minutes, staring in awe until one of the other guys asked him if he was going to stare at them all day or was he going to eat one? When he did, he emerged from the office he had hidden in (to better enjoy his treat in private) and clapped for me and my cupcakes. The cupcakes were a total hit and requests for more flowed freely.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes (vegan)
yields 12 cupcakes
Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour, lightly spooned and leveled
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 cup soymilk
1 banana
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup blackberry preserves
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In a food processor/blender, combine banana, sugar, soymilk, peanut butter, and salt. Process until completely smooth, then pour into dry ingredients. Stir until completely incorporated, but don't over-mix. Scoop into lined cupcake pan. Bake about 15 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of a centrally located cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan 5-10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the jelly glaze: In a small saucepan, bring the blackberry preserves, water, and cornstarch to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 4-6 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool completely in a cereal/rice bowl.
To ice the cupcakes: take each cooled cupcake by the paper wrapping and dip into the glaze upside-down. Twist to be sure the entire top of the cupcake is glazed. You could probably spread the glaze on with a knife or spatula, but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

I am listening to the happy sound of cars sloshing through puddles below my window. It was a beautiful sunny day, with the slightest nip in the air, but it has turned into a rainy and downright chilly evening. I love this time of year, truly. I couldn't think of a better night for Potato Corn Chowder from The Accidental Vegan. We were not disappointed - this is one seriously thick soup (thank you, Mr. Immersion Blender), full of potatoey goodness and the sweetness of corn. I am a sucker for a good, creamy, hearty potato soup and this one fit the bill with no help from the dairy industry! It smelled fantastic while it simmered for 30 minutes (this is a great dinner for nights when you can't or don't want to constantly attend to the cooking dinner). I think Devra said it would yield 6 servings, and it did - we each had three and I don't care if I get fat right now. Maybe tomorrow, but not right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment