Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I like my men like I like my rapini...bitter and green

Sorry. It couldn't be helped.

I took some of my cupcakes to work to share with my trainees (and a couple other lucky folks). One of my trainees said the chocolate banana cupcakes tasted healthy. I don't know how I feel about that, but both the chocolate banana cupcakes and the ginger-coconut-carrot cupcakes were very well received by my boss. Well received = wolfed down.

When I came home from work, Mister had been home for hours. He's been pretending not to be sick for days, but today it hit him at work and he came home, right after his boss sent him to some fruity Eastern-medicine-man who gave him some herbal pills. I'm all for alternative healing, and the last time he sent Mister to this guy for acupuncture it worked wonders, but Mister's description of his visit makes me wonder how the guy even knew what to "prescribe." Reading the ingredients of the pills, though, it looks like some kind of herbal detox with a lot of the herbs that probably taste too bad to put into my detox tea.

My idea of the perfect cure for anything that ails you? SOUP! So dinner was Hearty Peasant Soup and it was hearty alright! It was basically a tomato-based soup with plenty of beans and rapini (broccoli rabe). It came together quite easily and quickly, compared with some of my [beloved] Moosewood soups that take 2 or more hours to prepare. Mister laughed at my appraisal of our dinner, but here it is: it tasted very natural...smoky and green, which is a bizarre combination. I would almost say woody, but I don't know if I want to apply that word to soup. The rapini was quite bitter...I think I prefer it steamed in a soy sauce marinade, rather than simmered in a tomato-y soup...I think the soy sauce brings out the bitterness in a much more complementary way than the acidity of the tomatoes, combined with the pleasantly astringent flavor of the 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. I will make it again, but I think I will try to substitute kale for the rapini and make some hot, crusty, rustic garlic bread to serve alongside.

No comments:

Post a Comment