Wednesday, February 9, 2011

strategic meal planning

If tofu was self-aware, it would probably feel pretty jilted right now.  I started last night's post by revealing I was going to make Punjabi Peppers and Tofu, but I made Chickpea Cutlets with french fries instead.  Tonight, I was absolutely planning to make the peppers and tofu, but it occurred to me on the way home that there would be no leftovers.  That is, of course, a goal for this week, but I ate the last of the Pasta e Fagioli leftovers for lunch today, meaning tomorrow would be PB&AppleB...unless I made Farfalle with White Beans and Cabbage from Vegan on the Cheap.


As I'm sure you can see, I used rotini instead of farfalle, since I have yet to encounter a 12 oz box of farfalle.  It was tasty but a bit bland.  I don't think I seasoned it nearly enough, but at the same time, I pressed 6 cloves of garlic into the oil in which the cabbage sauteed and I think that should have made a little more effort to show up in the flavor profile.  Although the recipe said to season with salt and pepper, that sounded kind of boring when I have a perfectly good shaker of Mediterranean Sea Salt at my disposal.  Unfortunately, I just didn't put enough on to make a big difference in the taste.

As I expected it to, the head of cabbage and box of pasta made a voluminous amount of dinner, so I should be set for work-lunch tomorrow and Friday.  It blows my mind that we're moving this weekend.  At least half of our [remaining] possessions are in boxes, hopefully more by the time I go to sleep tonight, but it just hasn't hit me that on Monday, this won't be where I live anymore.  Although I am completely psyched to get out of this closet, getting rid of a lot of excess crap in the doing, and although I am really looking forward to setting up our new home just the way I want it, this is a little bittersweet.  I've lived here for 6 years.  Even though the apartment is tiny, cramped, and falling apart, I know it and it's little quirks.  I love the view I have from my front and kitchen windows - I can see the Penns Landing fireworks from my kitchen and there's nothing like a corner property to watch people or snow (or people in snow).  Plus, isn't it just weird to leave a place you've called home for so long?

Time is ticking on, so if I want to do anything productive, I should probably start now.  Tomorrow, only take-out will keep me from making Punjabi Peppers and Tofu [shhh! don't say that!].

No comments:

Post a Comment