Soooo.... I think I'm the only blogger I know who doesn't have at least a mild obsession with smoothies, especially of the green variety. I kind of blame VegNews and Kris Carr, and a little bit of that blame should probably be shared with Vitamix - the ubiquitous appliance that everyone wants but no one can afford...until that magical day.
So, while I wait for my magical day and fantasize about the things I would do with a high-speed $500 blender that can make heated soup one minute, then create a creamy soft serve "ice cream" in the next, I keep coming back to smoothies. I have absolutely nothing against them. In my own way, I quite admire them. But I don't drink them.
There are a few reasons I don't drink smoothies:
1. I am way too lazy to wash my blender every day. I am way to lazy to wash my blender once a month. It's a miracle my food processor is clean right now.
2. I am on too tight a budget to afford the magical ingredients. That is probably a cop out, actually.
3. I am ravenous when I wake up. While a smoothie would be a completely appropriate choice for its fast prep, I really like to chew on my breakfast. I would far rather eat an apple, banana, and kiwi bite by bite than I would like to blend them all together into what would inevitably be a very tasty smoothie.
4. Once I have eaten my chewable breakfast, I cannot justify the calories in a smoothie. I have this "either or" conversation in my head. Either I eat my breakfast or I drink it. I can't eat breakfast and then get a smoothie on my way to work.
5. Since I'm not some big athlete, I can't think of why I would drink a smoothie any time other than breakfast.
Regardless of all this, I have recently become infatuated with the idea of drinking one. Not just any smoothie will do, though. It's really Kelly's fault, because she had to go and put up a post about Pure Fare, a relatively new eatery (drinkery?) near Rittenhouse Square and when I read the menu in the background, I realized I would actually have trouble choosing my flavor. Kale-Apple sounds (and looks) amazing, but then I noticed Carrot Pineapple and thought, "ooooh...." but then I was intrigued by the Spinach Coco...
So, I guess what I'm saying is.... be on the lookout for my first smoothie post, coming soon to a blog near you.