Friday, December 10, 2010

lentils save the day/a souper supper

So, since I skipped last night in favor of some much needed sleep and unwarranted stupidity (with which I may still be infected), does that mean you get a double post tonight?

Kinda.

The unifying thread will be lentils and how awesome they are, but we will read a tale of two suppers.  Can I just say before we begin that I am so excited it's Friday that I haven't completely understood yet that it is Friday?  I'm still in get-stuff-done mode, so although I refrained from sharing my agenda with Mister over dinner...I still have one.  I've already made and eaten dinner and started into my brand new bottle of Dragani Montepulciano D'Abruzzi.  I'm presently babbling posting, so all that's left is menu-planning (and a second glass of wine).  Halfway through the to-do list isn't a bad place to find oneself after one of the most productive and frantic weeks of my life.  That includes the weeks leading up to my wedding...a cakewalk compared to this past week.

So, although I had planned to make my Indian Lentil dish last night and even had waffles for breakfast instead of oatmeal so I wouldn't dirty the pan I needed, by the time I got home from work around 9:10, despite my best intentions, cooking a meal was not on my list of priorities.  Fortunately, there was a large Gladware container filled nearly to the brim with Vegetable Lentil Stew in the fridge.  I pulled it out and walked over to Mister, showed him the container and suggested we heat up the leftover stew for dinner.  He laughed and agreed and while the soup was warming and filling my kitchen with the most homey and delightful scent, I realized what a perfect night it was for soup anyway, since the day's high temperature hadn't even crested the freezing mark.

Soup to the Rescue!

Anyway, since I had already thawed the frozen spinach in preparation for last night's cooking adventures, I set my mind to making Indian-Spiced Lentil Ragu from Vegan on the Cheap before I took a step off the train.  I came in the door and put down my stuff, made a few unintelligible noises at Mister, then started to simmer the rice and lentils.


It smelled so rich I was afraid I wouldn't be able to eat it, but then I remembered how tasty and nutritious it is and dug in.  Although this is a time-consuming meal to prepare, it really doesn't take much effort, which is fortunate, since I didn't have much energy!  I still don't and I'm beginning to fear carpal tunnel might take up residence in my wrists soon from all the typing and other computer work I've crammed into the last 5 days.  Before I start babbling like a complete idiot and making typo/grammatical errors even a first-grader would catch, I'm going to muddle through menu-planning and dish-washing.  Then, I will have an epic sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment