Friday, October 8, 2010

chili 'n' chips - it's what's for dinner

Tonight, I made Put the Tex in Your Mex Chili from The 30 Minute Vegan.  I resisted making this for a long time for a couple of reasons - first, I think the name is stupid.  Second, and hopefully more importantly, I already have at least two really great "go to" chili recipes.  Nevertheless, adventure beckoned, so despite my inability to procure a poblano pepper from any one of three grocery stores in Philadelphia, I made this chili tonight.


I couldn't get a very good picture as there was a very hungry, scent-enticed Mister hovering at the table ready for his crazy wife to stop taking pictures of dinner and just eat it.  That's his shadow you see on the table behind my chili.  I served it with multigrain tortilla chips and didn't even bother putting down silverware - Mister has trained me well.

It was a flavorful chili and Mister had seconds, but the recipe will require a little tweaking if I make it again.  I say "if" only because I have some favored chili recipes and sometimes it's okay to stick with what you know.  It was entirely too soupy for Mister and me - I think I would cut the 4 cups of broth down to two.  I might also serve it with a chunk of cornbread, just in case there's still some broth at the bottom of the bowl to sop up.

I was thinking about my invitation for topic suggestions for the upcoming VeganMoFo IV and realized I overlooked a major point of the event - does anyone have a recipe they want to see created/modified?  I've hit a little bit of a wall, creatively, probably due to the immense amount of brain power I waste use at work.  I used to subscribe to Cooking Light magazine and something I liked was that in each issue, they took a "family heirloom" recipe that was overflowing with cholesterol, fat, and sugar (not to mention, calories!) and revise it to be a little kinder to the contributor's waistline and arteries.  I made an attempt to replicate my own "heirloom" recipe, handed down to me by my mother, who got it from her best friend, who got it from her aunt, who got it God knows where.  I didn't hit a home run my first time at bat (sorry, it's Phillies season), but I'm willing to try again. 

Do you have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment