Wednesday, October 20, 2010

some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate

And for them, I cannot disagree.  I never got anywhere playing it safe - I say Fate should not tempt me.

I made it!  I got through my short week at work, which was jam-packed with work I usually have five days to do, as well as the excitement of knowing I was headed West (my favorite place to head) and some other morsels of happy.  I got exciting news shortly before leaving work tonight that I can't say anything about right now, but I just want to say that there is something truly fulfilling in seeing someone you have invested yourself in succeed and excel.  I can't wait to come home and say congratulations when everything is official and the cat is out of the corporate bag.

Okay, you got me.  I totally CAN wait to come home, but at least I have something to look forward to when the inevitable end of my vacation arrives.

Last night, I made Bulghur with Leeks and Swiss Chard from vegetariantimes.com.  This time I used red chard which added vivid color before cooking and colored the whole dish a little pinkish after cooking.


You can't see the pink too well, but there are pleasing little specks of red poking out through the forest of verdant chard leaves.  It had a peculiar buttery taste that enhanced the taste of the chard, resulting in me saving some for Leftover Lunch purely through self-control and discipline (and the desire not to piece together a lunch at work from salad and hummus).

Tonight, I made a little something spiffy.  It was originally born from one of those "Hey, I have a bunch of random but complementary ingredients hanging out in my fridge and I'm going on vacation.  How can I use those up so they don't have babies while I'm gone?" moments, but developed into a "pretty cool idea."

By the way of an aside, am I completely square that I still say things are cool?

Anyway, along with my tasty dinner, I opened a Natalie-sized bottle of Beaujolais, my favorite autumn wine.  It's nearly November, so by the time I return from California, the first round of Beaujolais Nouveau should be on the shelves or close to it.  Until then, this is light and enjoyable:


It accompanied dinner nicely, and continues to keep me company while I add new songs to my iPod and Mister destroys my feng shui by running back and forth across the apartment behind me, theoretically packing (but he's really just trying to scare the cat and drive me nuts).  Without further ado, let's look at dinner!


California Tofu Tacos
serves 4

4 12-inch whole wheat tortillas
14 oz extra firm tofu, cubed and drained on towels
1 avocado, cubed
2 small kiwifruit, skinned and cubed
1/2 cup chunky salsa (whatever heat you prefer - I used Mild 'cause I'm a weenie)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
generous sprinkling of cilantro

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add tofu cubes and stir to coat with oil.  Sprinkle with garlic and chili powders, as well as sea salt, then toss to coat.  Saute 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until the tofu begins to brown a little.  Add avocado and kiwifruit, stir to combine.  Stir in salsa and heat through until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.  Divide filling evenly among tortillas and eat as soft tacos or roll as burritos, if you wish.  I would guess surf music would be a fitting accompaniment, or maybe California Girls by Katy Perry...


I'm off to prepare for California!  I plan to try to at least pop up and say hi, but if you don't hear from me until Tuesday, please don't hate me!  You have plenty to read while you're waiting with bated breath for my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment